SAUTEED SAUSAGE, VEGGIES & DIY KRAUT
Sponsored by Kraut Source: krautsource.com
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
DIY Sauerkraut Ingredients
- 1 head cabbage, weighing about 1-1/2 pounds, cored and finely shredded
- 1 -1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon whole caraway seeds
- 4-5 whole juniper berries
- 1 large mason jar, wide mouth, quart-size
- Kraut Source Device
Sausage & Veggies Ingredients
- 1 (4 pk.) cooked chicken sausages
- 1 large red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, thin sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, thin sliced
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
DIY Sauerkraut Directions:
1) Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
2) Sprinkle salt over the cabbage and massage by squeezing handfuls between your palms and fingers with a medium firm pressure. Do this for about 5 minutes. The purpose of the massage is to help release juice from the cabbage. The longer you do so, the more cabbage juice will be released.
3) Let bowl of cabbage mixture sit on counter for 45 minutes to an hour.
4) Add in the caraway seeds and juniper berries, then place mixture into a clean mason jar. Really pack it in. Use a pounder, spoon, pestle, or the end of a rolling pin to temper down the cabbage and to help build up more liquid.
5) Be sure to leave at least 3 inches of clearance from the top of the cabbage and the opening of the jar or pack it to the shoulder of the jar.
6) Depending on the quality of the cabbage, you may or may not get a lot of juice. If needed, add enough * filtered water to cover the sauerkraut-to-be by about an inch.
7) Now you will need to keep the cabbage submerged underneath the liquid, or brine. Put the Kraut Source device on top of your wide mouth mason jar. Watch the video for a short demonstration. Leave the filled jar in a dark cool spot. (68 – 72° F is ideal)
8) Allow the fermentation process to do its magic for 10 -14 days.
9) Place the jar in your refrigerator. Enjoy your probiotic-rich sauerkraut as a condiment with meals.
* If you don’t have a filtered water, just boil water and let it cool.
Sausage & Veggies Directions:
1) Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Split sausages lengthwise, and spread apart. Place cut side-down in skillet and saute until lightly brown. Turn over and continue cooking until the other side is brown.
2) Remove sausages from pan and slice into chunks. Set aside.
3) Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan. Add onion & pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until caramelized (about 7-9 minutes). Remove from heat and toss with sausage.
4) Divide the sausage, onion & pepper saute equally on two plates. Top with sauerkraut and serve.
- Make a gourmet sando by putting a whole sauteed sausage on a gourmet bun with some mustard. Add onion, pepper mixture and sauerkraut to finish.