Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 15 minutes
2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
2 slices smoked bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
3-4 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded Italian Blend cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, slivered
Fresh ground pepper
To cook bacon: *If using bacon, pre-cook slices in the microwave. Lay bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate and cover with another paper towel. Allot 1 minute microwave time per slice (2 slices/2 minutes). Remove, blot excess fat, and chop into bits.
1) Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté until lightly brown (about 3 minutes). Drain off excess oil and add (optional) cooked bacon bits.
2) Add chopped tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until they have released their juices, about 4-5 minutes.
3) Make 4 wells in the tomato mixture with a spoon and crack an egg into each well. Add a grind or two of fresh pepper. Cover the pan with a glass lid, and simmer until egg whites are firm and yolks are starting to set (about 2 minutes).
4) Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese, and cover again to melt.
5) Sprinkle with fresh basil and scoop onto individual plates. Optional: serve with good quality sliced rustic toast.
-If omitting the bacon, use a couple grinds of sea salt as well as pepper.
-Substitute turkey bacon or meatless bacon bits if desired.
-Add a few dollops of Pesto (from Episode 2).-Replace tomatoes with your favorite Salsa.